I was speaking with a builder client the other day and he mentioned that his sales people did not like to work with Realtors. He went so far as to say that his sales people NEVER communicated with Realtors and preferred dealing with only walk in traffic. WHAT???
In most markets the percentage of Realtor co-broke deals is well over 50%. So, if you are not working with your Realtor community you are in essence losing sales! New home sales associates need to look at Realtors as their friends! Cultivate these relationships! Last I checked….Realtors worked with buyers! Ready, able and willing buyers! Why wouldn’t you want a chance to showcase your community and product?
Here are a couple tips for you when it comes to building relationships with Realtors.
- Identify the top 10 Realtors in your market area. Who are the movers and shakers? These are the ones you want to get to know and develop a personal relationship with. You don’t need to know the entire Realtor community. Remember, 20% of Realtors do 80% of the sales.
- Cultivate personal relationships with your top 10. By this I mean take a personal interest in who they are and what they do. Don’t just try to ‘sell’ your community to them. Care about them as a person. Remember, people do business with those that they know, like and trust.
- Incorporate social media into the mix when marketing to Realtors. If they have a Facebook page, LIKE it. If they are on Linked In, LINK IN with them. 91% of Realtors use social media in some form to market themselves.
- Engage them. Think outside of the box and get creative. You could have a wine and cheese reception at your new model. Or, you could have a lunch & learn and invite your design center manager to come and give a presentation about design and decorating trends.
- Be where they are. Are you active in your local Realtor Association? How about the Women’s Council of Realtors or your Builder’s Association?
- Make them feel special and appreciated! Sometimes it is the little things that can make them feel appreciated. A hand written note, tickets to a sporting event or cultural happening, or maybe a gift card….all these things go a long way in making someone feel special!
- Develop their trust. In most cases, Realtors are apprehensive about working with New Home Builders because they fear they will lose control of their client. So, keep them in the loop when working with their clients. Ask them how they wish to be communicated with. Work together as a team to gain their trust.